28 Aug The 12th Installation Ceremony of Rotaract Club of Colombo Uptown
|UOC FMF Members at the Installation ceremony of RCCU|
The event commenced with the two very entertaining and lively comperes; Rtr. Abdul Qadir Mustafa and Rtr. Naadira Jumat, welcoming the gathering followed by the lighting of the oil lamp by the dignitaries for the evening;
- Chief Guest – President of Rotary Uptown Rtn. PHF Nomal Wijeyratna
- Guest of Honour – Youth services chair Rtn. PHF PP Farzana Khan
- PP of Rotaract Club of Colombo Uptown Rtr. Sulochana Wanigasingha
- DRR Rtr. PHF PP Sathiyeandra Tharmakulerajasingham
To kick off the proceedings the welcome address was given by Rtr. Shayan Karunanayake (joint installation project chair) followed by the Secretary’s report for the year 2014/15 by Rtr. Thejani Gunasekera.
Rotaract Club of Colombo Uptown has been successful in completing some amazing projects for the last term which was evident by the video which was a compilation of few moments during some of the projects’ execution.
A special note has to be made regarding the following projects which won awards at the District Assembly for 2014/2015:
- “Run For Their Lives” or popularly known as RFTL which managed to bag 3 Gold awards under the avenues of Community Service, Public Relations and Finance.
- Inter Rotaract Basketball Tournament (IRBT) – Silver award under Club Service
- Quiz Whiz – award for best cluster project
- Award for the Most Outstanding Rotaract Club
- Best Supportive club.
All in all, Rotaract Club of Colombo Uptown completed 33 projects for the term 2014/2015 with 17 awards in total at the District Assembly!
Next up on the agenda was the address by the outgoing President Rtr. Nikitha Senaratne. In his speech, he mentioned about the ups and downs that his club had to face during the past year and how his dynamic Board of Directors have been an immense support to him to make his year a success. Tokens of appreciation were awarded to his outgoing board by Rtr. Nikitha Senaratne.
With the collaring of the incoming President Rtr. Sukitha Cooray, the new Board for the year 2015/16 were inducted.
- President – Rtr. Sukitha Cooray
- IPP – Rtr. Nikitha Senaratna
- Vice President – Rtr. Yazhdan Sameer
- Secretary – Rtr. Praveena Premakumar
- Treasurer – Rtr. Danesh Dissanayake
- Assistant Secretary & Assistant Treasurer – Dhanushika Sigera
- Sergeant at Arms – Rtr. Malik Hannan
- Joint Community Service Directors – Rtr. Naadira Jumat & Rtr. Mithila Wegapitiya
- Joint Club Service Directors – Rtr. Shayan Karunanayake & Rtr. Ayendra Bulathsinhala
- Director of Professional Development – Rtr. Ranga Madushanka
- Direcor of International Understanding – Rtr. Shelomi Perera
- Director of IT – Rtr. Krishan Balaji
DRR Rtr. PHF PP Sathiyendra Tharmakulerajasingham addressed the audience and in his speech RC Uptown’s signature project RFTL was given special recognition. He commended the organizing committee for successfully carrying out such a mega scale project which generated funds of Rs. 3.6 million. He also thanked ADRRs Rtr. PHF PP Malik Hannan and Rtr. PHF PP Thilina De Silva for their undying support and assistance during their terms.
The pins and certificates of being recognized as PHF were awarded to Rtr. PHF PP Malik Hannan and Rtr. PHF PP Thilina De Silva by the Chief Guest for the evening Rtn. PHF Nomal Wijeyratna.
Member of the Rotary District Committee Rtn. Hussein Khaleel in his speech congratulated the outgoing president and also wished all the best for the new president Rtr. Sukitha Cooray and her board for another successful year stating that the Rotary will always be by their side if ever they need any assistance.
A creative and entertaining video clip was displayed to go down memory lane which consisted of Kodak moments from past years. It clearly showcased the bond between the club members in Rotaract Club of Colombo Uptown and how they regard themselves as ‘family’ rather than ‘friends’
Guest of Honour, Youth services chair Rtn. PHF PP Farzana Khan stressed on the importance of retention of club members. She also highlighted the advantages of being a part of a movement such as Rotaract and the immense amount of benefits one could achieve through it.
The Chief Guest for the evening Rtn. PHF Nomal Wijeyratna emphasized on 3 leadership qualities that would guarantee success – Values, Enthusiasm and Skills Set. He briefly described about each of these components and identified the importance of being an “everyday leader.”
The ceremony concluded with the felicitations by other invited clubs which indeed was unique and challenging as the audience was requested not to mention certain “taboo” words in their salutations! This was followed by the Vote of Thanks by the newly appointed Secretary Rtr. Pravena Premakumar.
|An Installation doesn’t end without a selfie! Our members with the DRR Shakthi & Incoming President Rtr. Sukitha Cooray|
Kudos to a well-organized installation ceremony!
Greetings and well wishes from the Rotaract Club of University of Colombo Faculty of Management & Finance, for an amazing year ahead.
|Rtr. Ruvindi De Silva
Vice President 2015/16