20 Sep The 3rd Installation Ceremony of the Rotaract Club of Alumni of University of Moratuwa
The event commenced with the lighting of the oil lamp by the Dignitaries at the Head Table, Youth Service Director of Rotary Club of Colombo West Rtn. Yukthi Gunasekara, and the Project Chairperson Rtr. Ishara Paranawithana. The Dignitaries for the evening were:
- Chief Guest – Rtn. Jith Seneviratne, President of the Rotary Club of Colombo West
- Guest of Honor – Professor Rohan Lukas, Senior Academic at Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Moratuwa
- District Rotaract Representative Elect – Rtr. PP Mohamed Husni
With the house called to order by the Outgoing President Rtr. Dulitha Wanniarachchi and the Flag Salutation, Rtr. Ruwini Kodippilee read the Rotaract Invocation and the Four Way Test, which was followed by the Rotaract Song.
The welcome address was delivered by the event Chairperson, Rtr. Ishara Paranawithana. The Secretary’s Report for the year 2014/2015, was presented by the Outgoing Secretary, Rtr. Lalindra Jayaweera, as a video clip including photographs of the projects that were carried out during the past year. Some of the key projects undertaken by the club in the last year are as follows-
- Community Service – “We for you”, organized at Sunethra Orphanage
- Professional Development – “We need a difference”, to develop the personality of members
- International Service – “Friends at Fiji”, organized in collaboration with the Rotaract Club of Suva, Fiji
- Club Service – Club trip and the Friendly Cricket Match
The Outgoing President, Rtr. Dulitha Wanniarachchi shared the experiences he had gained as the President of the Rotaract Club of Alumni of University of Moratuwa. He claimed that the Incoming President Rtr. Hansaka Fernando has the potential and will take the club to greater heights, which was initiated by Rtr. Lahiru. He expressed his gratitude to the Outgoing Board for the immense support given during the last year.
Next the Outgoing President Rtr. Dulitha Wanniarachchi collared the Incoming President Rtr. Hansaka Fernando for the Rotaract year 2015/2016. An introductory speech on Rtr. Hansaka Fernando was delivered by Rtr. Nipuna Nayakkara.
|Rtr. Hansaka Fernando being collared as the 3rd President of the Club (Source: facebook.com/AlumniMora)|
The speech of the Incoming President, Rtr. Hansaka Fernando was mainly based on the contribution that the Rotaract movement makes to provide experience to its members through the involvement in various projects.
Next in line was the induction of the Board of Directors for the year 2015/16 which consisted of the following Rotaractors.
- President – Rtr. Hansaka Fernando
- Immediate Past President – Rtr. Dulitha Wanniarachchi
- Vice President – Rtr. Chamila Wijesinghe
- Vice President (Strategic Planning) – Rtr. Hashini Perera
- Secretary – Rtr. Guvanthie Abeysinghe
- Treasurer – Rtr. Lasal Ransinghe
- Sergeant–at–arms – Rtr. Eranga Bandara
- Editor – Rtr. Probodha Chamini
- Community Service Directors – Rtr. Suchindra Weerasooriya & Rtr. Ishara Paranawithana
- Club Service Director – Rtr. Vipula Dissanayake
- Director of International Service – Rtr. Nipuna Nayakkara
- Professional Development Directors – Rtr. Himantha Alahakoon & Rtr. Chethana Dharmawardana
- Director of Public Relations – Rtr. Givin Ranaweerasinghe
The gathering was then addressed by DRRE Rtr. PP Mohamed Husni, whose speech was mainly based on the importance of the retention of members. He appreciated the Rotaract Club of Alumni of University of Moratuwa for proving that neither personal nor other reasons are valid to quit the Rotaract movement. He suggested to the Incoming President as well as to his Board to share their experiences with fellow Rotaractors, to inspire more members to remain in this movement even after their studies. Further, he mentioned that he was looking forward for more sustainable initiatives from this club as well, through their professional experience and networks.
|The DRRE Mohamed Husni at the installation ceremony (Source: facebook.com/AlumniMora)|
Rtr. Hasini presented the illustrious profile of the Guest of Honor, Professor Rohan Lukas, along with a token of appreciation on behalf of the Rotaract Club of Alumni of University of Moratuwa.
Next item in the agenda of the event was the address by the Chief Guest, Rtn. Jith Seneviratne. Firstly he congratulated the outgoing President Rtr. Dulitha Wanniarachchi for completing a great year – doing good to fellow citizens. He mentioned some important facts about the history of Rotary, which was founded on the 23rd February 1905 by Paul Harris, with the intention of inspiring fellowship among the members of the business community. Further, he emphasized on the fact that currently there are over 1.2 million Rotarians across 200 countries.
|Rtn. Jith Seneviratne at the installation ceremony
He specifically mentioned that Rotary is the only Non-Government Organization that has been granted a permanent position in the United Nations. He also mentioned that the current Rotaract year will be of greater importance especially to Sri Lankans as Rtn. K.R. Ravindran has been appointed as the President of the Rotary International for year 2015/2016.
The 3rd Installation Ceremony came to an end with the Felicitations, the National Anthem and the House called to order for refreshments and Fellowship.
The Rotaract Club of University of Colombo, Faculty of Management and Finance conveys its best wishes to the Incoming President and his board for a successful Rotaract year ahead.
|Rtr. Gayaka S. Karunaratne
|Rtr. Nishra Marickar
|Click on image to get registered|