01 Jan 11TH INSTALLATION CEREMONY OF ROTARACT CLUB OF UNIVERSITY OF SRI JAYAWARDENAPURA
The 11th Installation ceremony of Rotaract Club of University of Sri Jayewardanapura was held on the 28th of November 2021 from 3.00 pm onwards at the New Senate Ballroom of the University of Sri Jayewardenepura.
The event commenced after Rtr. Hiruni Fernando and Rtr. Trevan Rumal, the host for the evening, welcomed the gathering. All the dignitaries were invited to light the oil lamp. After that, the house was called to order by the Sergeant at Arms, all rose for the National Anthem, followed by the conventional Rotaract formalities; the flag salutation, Rotaract invocation, Four-way test, and the Rotaract Song.
The gathering was welcomed by the Co-chair of the project Rtr. Surani Hewage. Next up on the agenda was, presenting the Secretay’s report for the year 2020-21 by the Outgoing Secretary Rtr. Zaina Sallay. Secretary’s report reveals that the Club has been able to finish off 40 projects across all avenues during the 10th Year of the RACUSJP. She also detailed that the club was able to secure 10 awards at the 31st Rotaract District Assembly. Finally, she concluded her speech by quoting a famous quote by Henry Ford; “Coming together is a beginning, Keeping together is progress and Working together is a success.”
Next, a special surprise gift of appreciation was given to the Outgoing President Rtr. Amasha Siriwardhana by the fellow Rotaractors. Afterwards, she addressed the gathering by stating that they had focused on promoting diversity among members in the club during the year, which converted the members as free thinkers by opening new horizons. She also emphasized that making an impact on the lives of people is the best feeling.
This was followed by the introduction of the Incoming President for the year 2021-22 Rtr. Minushi De Silva, by her very own friend Rtr. Thinuri Fernando. According to her, Rtr. Minushi is a talented individual who balances both academics and extracurriculars very well and can speak about 100 words per minute. She referred to her as a rapper and a walking movie dictionary. She is a person who is very good at last-minute surprises and also as sweet as she seems.
The most awaited moment of the evening arrived as the Outgoing President Rtr. Amasha Siriwardhana handed over the duties and the responsibilities of RACUSJP by collaring Rtr. Minushi De Silva as the President 11th President of Rotaract Club of University of Sri Jayewardenepura for the year 2021-22.
Afterwards, the Incoming President Rtr. Minushi De Silva, addressed the gathering. In her speech, she invited everyone to stand together to sustain life on earth.
Next, she introduced her Executive committee and Board of Directors for the year 2021-22.
The Executive Committee and Board of Directors for the year 2021-22 are as follows;
- President - Rtr. Minushi De Silva
- Immediate Past President - Rtn. Rtr. Amasha Sirimanna
- Vice President - Rtr. Keshan Hapuarachchi
- Vice President Rtr. Thapodha Fernando
- Secretary - Rtr. Rukshini Gomez
- Treasurer – Rtr. Hiruni Imalsha
- Editor – Rtr. Nethmi Wimalasena
- Sergeant at Arms – Rtr. Bhagya Ranasinghe
- Co-Director Club Service – Rtr. Jayani Yasara
- Co-Director Club Service - Rtr. Upuli Wickramasinghe
- Co-Director Club Service Rtr. Yasindu Nanayakkara
- Co-Director Club Service - Rtr. Nipuni Rajapakshe
- Co-Director International Service – Rtr. Dulmi Gunaratna ,
- Co-Director International Service – Nelufa Sariffodeen
- Co-Director Professional Development – Rtr. Hasini Wijayasantha
- Co-Director Professional Development – Rtr. Oshan Brahmanage
- Co-Director Membership Development – Rtr. Surani Hewage
- Co-Director Membership Development – Rtr. Malki Dissanayake
- Co-Director Finance – Rtr. Sathsarani Weerasinghe
- Co-Director Finance – Rtr. Thuvarakan Thumakandan
- Co-Director Environmental Service – Rtr. Bhaggya Wijerathna
- Co-Director Environmental Service – Rtr. Oshani Samarakkody
- Co-Director Public Relations – Rtr. Manuja Kariyawasam
- Co-Director Public Relations – Rtr. Chamika Liyanage
- Co-Director Sports – Rtr. Srinath Udayachandran
- Co-Director Sports – Rtr. Uvani Abeywardane
Then the event moved on to the address by District Rotaract representative, Rtn. Rtr. PP. Akhila Wijetunga. He commenced his speech by congratulating the Outgoing Past President for a year concluded successfully while praising her for setting the bar high. He highlighted that every undergraduate has a specific responsibility to make the world a better place.
Following that, the District Rotaract chair. Rtn. PP. PHF Marshad Barry began his speech by quoting Nelson Mandela, “Education is the most powerful weapon that you can use to change the world”. Furthermore, he modified the quote by adding another weapon which is Rotaract. Afterwards, the District Youth services chairman, Rtn. Dr. Rohantha Athukorala praised the Club for taking up new entrepreneurial type projects during the pandemic and being fearless in every aspect. Next, the President of Rotaract Club of Battaramulla addressed the gathering.
Tokens of appreciation were given to the dignitaries by the Incoming President, and then the floor was open for felicitations.
Finally, to conclude the ceremonial proceedings, the vote of thanks was given Rtr. Rukshini Gomez, the newly appointed Secretary. And the house was called to order for refreshments and fellowship.
The Rotaract Club of University of Colombo, Faculty of Management and Finance (RACUOCFMF) would like to extend its warm wishes to Rtr. Minushi De Silva and her Board for their upcoming journey they just embarked upon!
Rtr. Tharushi Gajanayake
Rtr. Githma De Silva
(Blog Team Member 2021-22)